Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mall Rats

Last year I was able to make it to northern Idaho to see my mom. I love to see my mom but since she frequently has to work, I was lucky to also see my mom's roommate: Jana.

Jana was once, coincidently enough, my roommate. Jana is one of the best friends a girl could ask for. We met our freshman year of college and she has since become just like a sister/daughter in my family. She's attended weddings and baby blessings. Basically, she rocks.

So, while I was able to see her in Idaho, we had a few "Girls Day Out"s. We went with my mom to dinner and a movie and were able to spend the greater part of a day getting pedicures and shopping at the mall. Our adventures at the mall still make me giggle. It's probably all very much "you had to be there", and yet, I share.

First, we had set up appointments with a reputable nail salon for manicures and pedicures but were running late (as Jana and Brooks do...) that morning and in our haste to make it to our appointment, we rushed to the first nail salon within sight and walking distance. We noticed that the name was not the same as the one we had called, but in our defense, there was a temporary plastic banner over a real store sign and so we figured, in our laziness, that they must be in the middle of a remodel. It sure did look like it... The shady nature of the interior should have told us something, or perhaps the confused nod from the pedicurist when we asked if this was, "Q-Nails". I guess my pessimism was on a rare vacation that day... I should have figured that something called "Hi-Tek" would definitely be up to no good. I have subsequently developed a fungus under my left thumbnail. I'm sure it's unrelated...

Later that afternoon, we had lunch, shopped, and were able to find matching toe rings (yea, you wish you were cool like us...). The toe rings, both of us would later admit, were less than adequate. We vowed before ever putting them on, that we would wear them forever while we were apart. Mine lasted until I got on the plane to come home. I don't know if hers lasted that long. Now, this is not because I lack love for my Jana... it is simply because they were the most uncomfortable toe rings ever devised. I am pretty sure that had I not taken it off when I did, it would have grown into my toe and given me tetanus. I am quite attached to my toes, and wanted to keep them. All of them. It was a simple matter of survival. Nothing personal.

While shopping, we saw one of those photo booths that costs a fortune and draws your picture before your very eyes. What a great idea to preserve this wonderful memory! It took several pictures before we found one that flattered us both and then "Rembrandt" began to draw. It was beautiful and began to take shape, much to our excitement. Our excitement soon turned to confusion, however, when Rembrandt held our completed drawing up on the screen, sans noses. Hmm... I'd like to say that I didn't laugh until I nearly peed. For your peace of mind, I didn't. But it was close. A real touch-n-go.

Us in all of our "Lord Voldemort" glory:


The rest of the afternoon included:
- A good hour in the Sprint store in which "Sexy Salesclerk Dude" did everything he could, short of proposing to Jana, to get her to buy a phone.
- One or two Italian Cream Sodas each... I simply can't recall.
- A business card from the glass-blower man.
- A really awkward silence between us and the lady from Q-Nails as we confessed the truth about our missed appointment.
- One more photo booth; After what Rembrandt did, we had to renew our faith in over-priced superfluous Mall economy:



It was a fabulous day and one I am still giggling about as I sit here typing. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

*I told you I'd get around to posting about it... I hope it was worth the wait. Notice that is 1 year to the day?! Yeah, I'm just that thoughtful...

1 comment:

  1. I was drinking water whilst updating myself on your blog posts. Bad idea... the water coming out of my nose is painful. But how fabulous of you to document! I love it. All of it. Every word. My expectations of this post were high. TOO high. But you flew past them with brilliant wit as usual. You win! You win! I'm dying...

    ReplyDelete