Monday, April 27, 2009

One of These Things is Not Like the Other.


Can you guess? Sorry to keep posting about pregnancy, but it is weighing heavily on my mind… and body. Back to my ankles. Or rather, ankle.

About a week and a half ago, my leg began to hurt, and less than a day later, it turned into my great-grandmother DeFore’s cankle. After a week of “living with it” (since I have learned that calling the doctor for nothing short of hemorrhage only results in my feeling stupid.) I gave in and called the nurse at my doctor’s office. After 6-8 hours, she returned my call, and assured me that although it was not a fun one, it was a normal symptom of pregnancy. Me, feeling stupid.

By the end of the week I, being the vain woman that I am, was tired of dragging “Stumpy” (as Josh has dubbed him…) behind me. Not one to be deterred, I decided that the doctor would have some cosmetic advice to give. Nonchalantly, I mentioned the curious case to my doctor during the Q & A section of our visit. He laughed, of course, but decided to take a look at it all the same. This is where my day took a turn into the unusual.

While I lay on the exam table, the doctor, now in the presence of the very nurse that I had discussed my abnormality with at the beginning of the week, began to palpitate my foot, ankle, and calf. I gasped at all the appropriate times, of course, and after the exam was over, a dark shadow came across my doctor’s face. “I think that we need to send you to Radiology for a Venus Doppler Ultrasound.” Great. That sounds fun. “It’s probably nothing, but it could be… a clot.” Even better.

3 hours, one trip to North Las Vegas and back to Summerlin, and two overnight bags later, I got to experience the Venus Doppler Ultrasound. I am pretty certain that my technician was not yet a legal adult, though, I was sure that she knew what she was doing as she respectfully asked me to drop my pants to my ankles and lay on the gurney. I really should have kept track of all the individuals who have seen me naked in my lifetime… perhaps we’ll recount those on another date. It’s getting impressive.

Ah, the ultrasound: She explained the procedure, which sounded simple enough to me, and we began. She would place the wand at various places on my inner thigh, and push “gently” on my calf. I should have known better than to trust a teenager. Oh, the first bit of her explanation was spot on, but when it came to the next step, I must disagree. Wand in place, she reached across me, and proceeded to do what I can only describe as a “Slug Bug” to my very swollen and sore calf. After repeating this move for 5-10 minutes, I was allowed to reclaim my dignity and slink out of the office.

To summarize: After making half a dozen calls, I finally got the results of my Venus Doppler Ultrasound. I do not have a deep vein thrombosis. I am not going to die. Not last week, anyway. Sadly, that also means that Josh has to wait until the 8th of May for an induction.  Sorry, baby.  I tried.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, that looks painful. I think you should get a second oppinion. I say after pedicures you are on bed rest, and that means Josh serving you in bed for the next week. Do you need a dr's note?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! You deserve to be induced early. We can't wait to hear about the baby. Any names yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as cankles go, that one is pretty darn impressive. I think a list like you mentioned is a good idea. Funny how pregnancy and childbirth robs you of your body, mind, AND dignity, eh? Blessed stuff. Hang in there! You're almost to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things get better for you. Good luck on the delivery tomorrow! Hope all goes well for you. Can't wait to see the little guy.

    ReplyDelete